Wednesday, May 31, 2017

RESURRECTION

Last Thursday I sent the Becker Grand Prix, so kindly donated by Malcolm, off to Becker in New Jersey for a refurbish and Bluetooth mod. I’m waiting for their analysis and cost, but from what they told me up front it all sounds very reasonable. It will be nice to have the original radio in-place, since I’m such a stickler for originality. Or am I?

Also last week, I almost pulled the trigger on another 1988 Arctic White SEC. This car is in much better fettle than Johnny was when I purchased him (and cheaper). The car is located in St. Louis and is currently owned by an MBCA Regional Director, whom I believe is only the third owner from new. In the end common sense overruled insanity and I decided two major projects are enough for now (I also have a 1953 MG-TD/C under restoration). The latest edition of the SL Market Letter has the contact info if anyone is interested.

One item I failed to mention in any detail before was Johnny’s battery. When I initially purchased the car I asked the seller how old the battery was. His response was “New, 2 mouths (sic).” Imagine how gob-smacked I was when I picked up the car and sitting prominently on the battery case was some generic battery with a USED BATTERY sticker proudly emblazoned on same. Well, this went right along with the no-name “Duro” tires and the Econo Lube oil change sticker. During the car’s safety inspection back in Virginia the battery was the first thing to go. The crap tires will be history when Johnny comes out of the body shop with his fresh paint and refurbished 15-holers with a set of new Michelin Defenders mounted. The original spare wheel and tire, Michelin MXV, remain with the vehicle.

Least you think everything was bad, I do have the original first aid kit and complete tool kit and with the exception of the rear window sill, the car is rust free.

The back shelf came back from the upholstery shop last week and all I can say is they look as good as new. I harbored some trepidation about what they would look like, but they turned out magnificently. After the paint and body is finished, probably this week, the headliner will be redone and the seats refurbished.

In the end after much internal debate I decided to go with the monochrome look and paint the body cladding, bumpers, door handle guards and mirrors in white to match the rest of the body. I think it offers a much cleaner appearance and a more modern look. Now, before you go off and ask me how I could possibly change the look of a car designed by Bruno Sacco; I’ll just have to say my taste is more refined today then Bruno’s was in the ‘70’s when the design was laid down. No offense Signore Sacco.


There are a few pictures below of where we are so far…

Look Ma, no trunk!

New rear window edge in place. This is an original MB part.

Where have all the bumpers gone?

Recovered rear shelf compartment covers.


Recovered rear shelf.

Our upholster was able to find the original material.


Ascessories still in good nick.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Long Overdue

I can't believe it's been two years since I posted anything about Johnny. Just as with the rest of you it's be a tumultuous time...